Saturday 24 April 2010

A satisfying Saturday

As I had mentioned in a previous blog, the cold weather over this winter/spring had taken it’s toll on the graining varnish on the cabin top and Dawn spent time over Easter peeling off all the blown varnish. The weather forecast for the weekend was for hot dry weather so, an ideal opportunity to get a coat of varnish on it. Got down the mooring about 9.30am and started by washing down and scrubbing all the marks off the graining on the cabin top, as well as all the ‘farmers lime’ from the weekend spent up at Hoo Mill. With that done, I had to leave it to dry completely, which would not take too long in this weather, and so I turned my attention to the engine. On the journey up to Hoo Mill the gasket between the cylinder head and the hot bulb had started to blow a little bit but nothing to worry about as they do tend to do this. On the way back it started really ‘blowing smoke’ from out the engine ‘ole doors and so I decided to fit a new one while I waited for the cabin top to dry.

Removed the oil rod from the top of the spindle and raised the spindle by hand screwing it out, loosened the nuts holding the spindle flange in then carefully pulled the spindle out of it’s mounting. Slackened the fuel supply pipe and rotated the spindle and pipe out of the way of the engine. Disconnected the in/out cooling water pipes followed by the two nuts holding the mounting onto the top of the hot bulb.

THE SPINDLE ASSEMBLE REMOVED

Lifted the flame hood off out of the way then proceeded to remove the five nuts clamping the hot bulb to the cylinder head.

THE HOT BULB REMOVED

With both the flame hood and the hot bulb off the engine I took advantage and gave them a quick paint over with Calfire stove paint prior to fitting them back. While the flame hood and hot bulb were drying I got back to the cabin top which by now had completely dried. For the next hour I gave the whole of the cabin top a coat of International yacht varnish. Now with the varnish wet I returned my attentions back to the engine.

THE NEW STRING GASKET IN PLACE

I greased a 3 foot length of asbestos string which is used to produce the gasket by spirally winding it in a coil on the mating surface, the grease simply to hold it in place while you mess.

THE HOT BULB

With this done the hot bulb was bolted back on followed by the flame hood. While I had the spindle assemble out of the engine but still connected to the fuel supply I cleaned the carbon build up off the end of the spindle and cleaned the hole in the end using a set of gas welding nozzle cleaners. Having cleaned the nozzle I then loosened the fuel supply pipe and rotated the spindle assemble back and placed it loosely into it’s mounting before tightening up the fuel pipe. The spindle was again lifted clear of it’s mount and a small oil jug placed under the nozzle to catch the diesel as I gave the lifter several pumps just to check the spray pattern with the spindle both raised and close. All was fine and so the whole lot was put back together.

ENGINE ALL BACK TOGETHER AGAIN

With this done I once again turned my attentions to the cabin, this time the cabin sides, well one cabin side as I sat on the edge of the wharf and proceeded to scrub down the cabin side with a sponge and soapy water followed by a coating of Auto Glim car polish and a good buffing. By the time my arms were aching and it was getting on for 3.30pm and I needed to get back as we are out to a show night at the Power Station Club tonight at six, A Take That tribute band (I’m only going for Dawn’s benefit) still I suppose I could end up having a couple or three Guinness.

Till next time

Don’t bang ‘em about

Blossom.

No comments:

Post a Comment